biggest blogging mistakes blogging myths

10 Blogging Myths-Busted! + A Few OOTDs

16:00Lade Ibikunle

10 Blogging Myths-Busted!
Myth
mɪθ/
noun
  1. a widely held but false belief or idea.


As a blogger, I have come across people who just say stuff to me based on things they have heard about blogging and in my mind I'm super-confused because these things are very far from the truth. They may have elements of truth (which is why they are easily believable) but they are false. Today I will be talking about those myths and giving you the real 🍵


1. Everything Bloggers Own is Free
If only wishes were horses! Bloggers actually go to the market/supermarket/boutique/the store to buy stuff for themselves! They don't wait for brands to send them clothes before they can clothe themselves. And even if brands send them stuff 'for free', its because they've provided a service (blog posts, IG post, IG story mention, etc) so in the grand scheme of things, they are not free, just simple trade by barter!

10 Blogging Myths-Busted!
2. Blogging is Easy
Abeg shift let me laugh small 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😂😂😂😂😂, okay lade, that's enough! It takes a lot of hard work, tons of dedication and passion to start a blog, put out content, share content and remain consistent! I for one have had to learn a lot so my content can be topnotch. I have learnt photography, photo editing, video editing, small coding, designing, writing techniques, marketing, etc. I mean if blogging was easy, everyone would be doing it and not so many blogs would fail!

3. Bloggers Are Definitely Extroverts
You probably met one of your favorite bloggers at the mall and you immediately started shouting her name and running to hug her but then become dissapointed that she's not doing the same to you. It might not be that she's proud but simply shy!. The thing with writing/blogging is that it allows for the writer to be very expressive and that automatically paints a picture of the kind of person they should be in real life in the minds of the readers. I know a lot of bloggers who are introverts but you can never tell from the way they write.

10 Blogging Myths-Busted!
4. Bloggers Are Jobless
If you still think this after my explanation in the second point, then you need a big hug cos I know life can be very difficult for the blind! First of all, blogging is a big, full-time job. And on top of that, some super humans joggle it with other jobs. I know bloggers who are accountants, doctors, lawyers, marketing execs, serious 9-5vers! Say that thing one more time and let me find correct slap for you! Oshisco plc!

5. Google Pays Bloggers Big Money (This is Especially a Naija Thing)
Funny enough, someone still said this to me today. Now come closer let me educate you. Bloggers don't work for google, neither do they have a standing order with Google accountant to transfer particular sums to them monthly. Bloggers work for themselves and google approaches them through adsense to run adverts on their blogs. Google AdSense typically pays based on the click-thru rate, which is the number of times people click on the ad. Therefore, Google AdSense is unlikely to generate a large income for bloggers. Now that I have blessed you with some knowledge, go ye therefore and have sense!

6. You Need to be Tech-Savvy or Know How to Code 
If this were the case I probably will not be blogging. The world is evolving and technology is improving day by day. Some things you'll probably have needed coding for 5 years ago are now in form of simple plugins or template. All you need to do is upload it to your blog shikena! (meaning SIMPLE!). And there are a lot of materials/blogger forums that will help you just in case you run into some difficulties.
10 Blogging Myths-Busted!

7. You Have to Spend A Lot of Money on Your Blog
There are only two things you should spend money on as far as I'm concerned web hosting and domain name registration. Every other thing can be gotten for free and look very nice and professional.

8. Just Start A Blog And Money Will Start Falling
Ok now, if that were the case won't I be in my Range by now? lol. I think this is a major misconception people have and when the money does not start to fall, they get frustrated and close up shop, sorry, blog.

9. You Can Never Make Money Off Blogging
I know it sounds like i'm contradicting myself given my previous point but the truth is you can actually make money from blogging it just might not happen immediately. So therefore your expectations have to be well managed. Just continue doing what you are doing, let your hardwork and passion come through and money will come.

10. Good Content is Enough
Unfortunately, this is not the case. Putting out good content without promoting it is like winking at a lady in the dark or fetching water with basket, kolewerk! You have to market your content and this can be as simple as sharing the post on your Facebook, IG, Twitter, Snapchat, etc!
10 Blogging Myths-Busted!
Bonus Point
Blogging in Nigeria = Linda Ikeji. Like common 😒!!!

There you have it. I know there are others but these are the popular once I have come across. I hope I was able to discuss them intoto. Let me know other blogging myths you know and lets discuss in the comment section.

Till next time 😘
Let's Connect

FACEBOOK  ||  TWITTER  ||  INSTAGRAM || YOUTUBE ||  BLOGLOVIN

DON'T BE SELFISH, SHARE THE POST

Check Out These Posts Too, You'll Love Them

2 comments

  1. Check you out Lade spitting the truth. I could totally relate with every point you said. Bloggers don't get free stuff because with every free gift a post or mention is expected, so you're actually working for the free stuff hence your point on trade by barter. Blogging is touch, costs money too and the blogging industry especially in Nigeria is not encouraging. While in other parts of the world, bloggers actually live off their blog, in Nigeria we have a long way to go and most times I doubt it's even possible as there are very few success stories like Sisiyemmi and Dimma Umeh. I once had someone tell me that she thought bloggers got paid a commission from mobile networks when their readers visit their site, I laughed so hard lol, if only, at least I'd get paid for using my data to respond to comments and even write posts.

    Princess Audu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging in Nigeria is tough mehn. I think the economy has made brands very stingy and its not their fault really. Brands generate their own electricity, water, pay exorbitant policy fees, plenty tax, etc and are left with little or nothing to run their business! That automatically projects on their advertising/PR budget! This country is just somehow

      Delete

Your comment means a lot, kindly leave them and be sure I'll attend to everyone of them

Popular Posts

Flickr Images

Contact Form